Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Finished the Table Runner...

Finished and out in the cold for photos. I used a dark blue cotton print, from Keepsake Quilting many years ago, for the binding. That fabric has a darker and lighter all over bamboo print, and makes a nice framing for the other fabrics in this piece. I was told just today that the pattern I used in the quilting is a variant of something called Baptist Fan. I have no idea where that name came from, as the chrysanthemum pattern is an ancient one in Japan, and a pattern that I have been doodling since the 1960s. Probably because my father sent home numerous items from Japan in the 50s and fabric was a player in many of those items. Lovely - I fell in love with Japanese design all those years ago. Anyway, I don't do equal distance in this pattern, I like to vary both the distance between the lines and the size of the semi-circles you see. My kitty also likes this table runner! He wanted me to leave it outside, but I don't think that's a good idea. This little quilt is a nice practice piece for me and I hope to make a large Oriental Fabrics quilt very soon.

No comments: