Sunday, April 24, 2016

Blue Quilt Design and Start...

I designed this quilt from an inspiration picture  I saw on the web of a quilt in a show some time ago. I drew up a plan, and mine is somewhat different than that show quilt in design, but the plan to keep almost all blue large triangle pieces stayed with me. I have my pieces cut now (only took me a couple months to get this plan ready and cut the pieces - I am slow) and have sewn up two blocks just like you see in the picture.  I have arranged the pieces so I begin with the darkest dark sewn to the darkest light, so that I don't end up with blocks of the same hue - if I get to the mid-range, I can change the arrangement for better value. Then I will see if my original plan is the one I go with when I come down to arranging the quilt blocks in their final statement. :)  I had already lots of blue Asian fabrics in my stash, and I just love working with them. I had a pack of blue fat quarters of batiks so there is also batik in this. Not usually a fan, but these prints were so nice. I have accumulated Asian fabrics over the last few years as they are all I intend to use in future. You never know though, with so many lovely fabrics out there, I could mix it up a bit next time!  This quilt should go faster, as there aren't a lot of seams and it is relatively simple. I must chose backing and binding fabric as well.

After searching a lot, I did find the creator of this pattern. It seems it is no longer available, but the designer was Stephanie Sims for Clothworks. The name of the pattern is Sapphire, and it was available free. The fabrics were from the Sapphire Collection by Skipping Stones Studio. Finished size was 61x61 inches. Mine will be about 64x80".

6 comments:

glorm said...

The blues are great. Bet this is going to be one lovely quilt when done.

catspec said...

Thank you so much glorm! I should be a bit faster with this one! :)

SewLibra said...

Lovely shades of blue! I like your fabric picks. If you like batiks, try Nancy's Notions rayon batik from Bali. I sewed with two of them, then ordered two more that I received today. They are very nice.

catspec said...

Thanks SewLibra! Although I am not a big batik fan, some are lovely and your choices for garments have been brilliant! Such nice work! I do put a batik or two in my quilts - they do mix well with Asian prints. I bet Nancy's are great and may just order a few after your recommendation!!

deep1084 said...

That is going to be beautiful! Strangely enough, I just started a quilt which has two different blocks, one of which is made of the same large triangles. We'll have to compare notes as we go along. The other block is a Sister's Choice with 25 pieces, so not as quick!

catspec said...

Thanks Deep!! :) Will be looking for your quilt pictures at some point if you share!