Sunday, August 27, 2017

Simplicity 1284 for a Vintage 1960's Look...

Suddenly I wanted a few somewhat vintage patterns. I love the Koko Beall patterns, but the one I think I shall make is the Simplicity, view B.  The Burda I would do a tunic without the collar - just do a neckline binding or a self-drafted semi-cowl.  Anyway - as always it is fun to look at the patterns. :)  I have an event coming up for which a 1960s style is appropriate, and View B of the Simplicity would do just fine! I like the seaming and the simplicity, no pun intended!  View B is the black and white print sheath dress on the right of the pattern envelope.   Now to find fabric that would be LIKE the 60s without actually being the 60s.  I favor a solid or a very tiny texture or print that would allow the seaming to be the style features, as was the intent of the designer. It is always awful to see a lovely pattern, with seaming that defines a design,  made with a horrific print. Happens a lot though.

I linked Koko Beall up above to a really nice blog called American Age Fashion, which is a fascinating blog in itself.

The rest of the patterns will be waiting until I get the urge to sew them as well as the enlightenment of what fabrics to use, and what modifications to do.

Meanwhile, no, the quilt is not done, but it's coming along and the ukulele case 2, for my son, is cut out and awaiting my present wave of laziness to subside. Hoping this next week sees more action in the sewing room.  It is possible, and as I have so many projects in mind, it would be nice to do some positive work on the ones I have now!

6 comments:

glorm said...

Ah, yes, the 60s. The perfect fabric is out there, somewhere. Bet you find that a lot of the prints are knit. Hmmm. At least you have some time to check around.

catspec said...

glorm, I kinda want a ponte knit. I have to go see what's out there! I kinda want a soft pink too. ;) Or some other really nice color....

SewLibra said...

Looking forward to seeing this pattern completed, and hoping you find the perfect fabric. I think a good quality ponte would be perfect and comfy as well. Glad to see you are getting back to some garment sewing lately!

catspec said...

SewLIbra I Found fabric - not ponte and not knit! I got a lovely piece of "suiting" - it's poly and will need serging around each pattern piece for raveling - soft medium brown with some auburn hi-lites. The manufacturer named it "Potting Soil Dabbled" which is kind of funny actually. But it is pretty - I wouldn't have thought I'd buy brown, but it will go not only with me but with the accessories I plan on wearing. I have to say the choices weren't great, and neither were online fabrics - I couldn't find anything online I wanted. SO - I will try to run up a cotton muslin in the next few days.

Janine said...

I own one Koko Beall pattern but made it a few times and will definitely make more. The simplicity pattern you have chosen is a classic. I will look forward to seeing it made up.

catspec said...

Janine, thanks for the comment! I do intend to make the Koko Beall at some point! :) I hope you don't mind I added your blog to my list on mine. ;)