Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Ironing Board Cover in the Midst of Other Projects...


After a discussion on PatternReview of small irons, I was motivated to get out my small table ironing board, make it a new cover and pad, and get myself the little Sunbeam Travel Iron. The topic was actually the little Clover Iron, but I had that and never used it - very awkward and got too hot. This little Sunbeam iron heats up fast and is so darn cute! Since i am a Sunbeam iron gal anyway, this works!   So, I pieced the rest of the home dec curtain-uke case fabric I had left and made the cover, edging it with elastic after serging it - also made a pattern so I can make other covers. For padding I used two layers of left over Hobbs cotton batting. I can pull it a little tighter than shows in the photo, and I love this combo. This means that when I sit and piece blocks, I can turn around and iron them. :)   The iron really gets hot, so be careful! It has a really long cord - 8 feet! I think that may be as long as my regular iron! If not longer.

In the meantime I have three other projects in the works: the vintage dress, the ukulele case for DS, and the Shirt Quilt. But a detour is sometimes needed.

2 comments:

glorm said...

Wow, what a futuristic-looking iron. Love it. Thought I recognized the uke cover fabric. Haha. When we were clearing out MiL's house I picked her table ironing board which I have not yet used, but I will.

catspec said...

:) I say USE ITUP!!! Fabric that is...The little ironing boards are handy for little things and for parts of garments in the works. I have used mine but had let it sit and get pretty dusty with not using it in a year or so. No I am inspired. I have to tell you that little iron gets really hot really fast! I haven't tested for water yet - some say it leaks. We shall see about that. I guess at that price some will leak. It is listed on Sunbeam's site at 14.99, and on AMAZON for 9 something with a 2 dollar coupon, so 7 something. Excellent price!