Sunday, September 28, 2008
Here's the shirt, reviewed over on PR, and I like it! Here is a bit of the collar, showing the stand/collar as one piece rather than the two pieces of pattern and fabric the pattern indicated. That's one piece too much for me to bother with. The pieces of this pattern fit together so well. The collar was a perfect fit, and the rest of the garment went together well. The sleeves are a bit puffy for me, but I like the shirt. I did five buttonholes and five plain white buttons. My Viking sensor buttonhole foot decided to go off on its own and just do whatever length it wanted half way through a couple of buttonholes, so I switched to the regular foot, and used the memory feature for the last two. If I cannot count on that glitzy sensor foot, I won't use it at all any more, as the regular foot is actually easier. The shirt is a little large in the shoulders, but the next time I make a Lutterloh I will make my usual shoulder adjustment, using the shoulder template from Shannon Gifford's class on bodice muslin making. That template is extremely handy! Now I am working on getting the vest binding on, and that's going nicely. The pants just need hemming, and then they will be done as well. So - two more Lutterloh reviews this week I hope. :) Juliette on PR reviewed the Lutterloh pajamas she made a few weeks ago, and they look warm and fuzzy. Maybe I will make some winter warm nightwear. Those of us interested in Lutterloh are hoping that some other people will review a few more patterns each month, thus raising awareness and interest in the system. With computerized pattern software as popular as it is becoming, many people probably would rather buy one of those systems. They are, in my opinion, both too time consuming and too expensive to think about. I wouldn't want to bother with printing and having to assemble all those pieces of regular printer paper. Think of the bills for paper and ink! Lutterloh just needs paper, markers and your little patterns. Of course, I will make copies of the ones I use because I don't want to put little pin holes in my actual patterns!
Monday, September 22, 2008
Lutterloh is this month's theme. I have been working on my Lutterloh online class. Three garments are not finished, but pretty far along. The fitting issue is that the pants should have been a bit larger. This was caused not by Lutterloh, but by my use of the wrong numbers when drafting the pants. I am going to draft another pattern soon and give it another shot with a better measure. You have to be careful and measure really carefully with the patterns. Honestly might be another way to put it. ;) However, the pants fit, and I am very happy with the fit as well. They are cut rather like Burda pants are, which is a great Euro-fit in the most important places. The vest is a bit snug as well. I am going to try a full figured pattern, but I think this vest will be cute over a nice knit top, and I am going to make another Ottobre top out of some ecru fabric I bought from Gorgeous Things. The shirt is on the way to finality, but has a collar and facing to finish and the hems. Progress report to be continued.