Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Oriental Traditions Quilt Finished...Happy!

Over a period of the last two weeks I finally got the quilt finished! I am happy with the results. I love the fabric for the binding, which is the same fabric as the black in the blocks on the right of the quilt. I bought this fabric in a store in Bothell on my trip to Seattle last May, and had it in mind for this quilt at that time. It is black with a lovely speckling of gold.   I did the label with that fabric as well. I think designing the row of blocks was the fun part, and daring to use the whole cloth panel as well. I bought three panels in a row, edged them with blocks and did the free motion quilting. The backing is altogether different. It's a really cute white floral on red that I bought a lot of from Keepsake Quilting when I bought it to make the binding on my Mom's pinwheel quilt. I love it and my daughter loved it and wanted it for her quilt backing, so here it is! :)  I really love these Asian fabrics and want to just sew with them as I go along, but right now I am working on a scrappy quilt in the 15 Minutes of Play mode. Not as fun as I thought, but fun anyway, and rather a learning experience. I do like to take my time, and the next Asian quilt is beginning to take shape in my imagination as we speak. Meanwhile, I love to look at this one!

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Asian Quilt Free Motioned...Razzle Dazzle Fun!

I finished the free motion on the Asian Quilt last week. Now I am dragging my feet on making the binding. I will make the binding from the same black-with-golden-sprinkles as featured in the blocks I made for the quilt. I wanted to use Kimono Silk, but that didn't work out. I ended up quilting some with the silk, some with So Fine #50 and some with good old Maxi-Lock. About 75% of the way through, a friend suggested I try a Jeans needle. I had one and put in a 14. The difference was fantastic - that jeans needle seemed to entirely make the Pfaff happy, and on she went with the Maxi-Lock and the Jeans needle. I promptly bought myself a bunch of Jeans needles from Nancy's Notions. I think I will be quilting on the inexpensive side with a lot of Maxi-Lock and Jeans needles. :)

Meanwhile, I needed a break with a short project, and I finally started the Superior University classes with project #101, the Razzle Dazzle mug rugs. I decided to do mine from double sided quilted fabric I had in my scrap stash, and I used Metrosene on the top and hand wound that Razzle Dazzle unto a bobbin and did the bobbin work as directed int he class instructions. I tell you - this was fun! My Janome 6300 loved it, and all went very well. I had to use my own free form patterns of course, couldn't use the ones supplied, as I didn't really care at all for them. I love the results and am very grateful that I signed up for the lessons. I mean I never would even have tried bobbin work without this impetus. Looking forward to learning quite a lot of thread info in these lessons. Good news here - Cindy Needham has a video on using the Razzle Dazzle.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Butterick 6777 Finished...

Although it took me awhile to finally finish these, they are so easy to make I have no idea why I even thought of buying white cotton half slips or pettipants from Vermont Country Store!  I used the white broadcloth from Joann's that I believe I mentioned in my first post about this pattern. The fit is good, and the time involved is minimal. My two pieces sat there waiting for me to do the deco stitching on the hems. I just did a pale pink deco stitching around the hems to add a little something. I need these two pieces for next summer when I wear a couple of skirts I made that are pretty thin fabrics, so I haven't worn them yet.


The pettipants are an experiment to see if I like them. We did have some thinner waistband elastic so that is what I used in the casings for the waist. One could do it the lingerie way and get special elastic that sews on the outside and has a pretty edging to it. If I like these I may make more. I can picture them in a nice pale yellow. I used Kimono Silk for some of the deco stitching, but had two thread breaks, even though I changed tensions, presser etc., so I changed to the same color in Bottom Line that I happened to have. Truthfully the Bottom Line doesn't look different than the silk, and it sewed problem free.  I had a So Fine #60 pre-loaded Class 15 bobbin in in white.

Friday, November 28, 2014

Fall, Thanksgiving and Christmas Place Mats done...

Down to the wire on Thanksgiving Day I finished the Holiday place mats. One side is Fall (Halloween, Thanksgiving, anytime) and one side is Christmas. Both sides are fun Peanuts prints and of course as usual place mat making was fun. I cut them out on Tuesday and sewed them up Wednesday with my Janome MC6300, which is FAST. I used the turn-method. No binding that way. Smaller quilted pieces really lend themselves to that. I used some Warm and Natural Batting left over from a quilt, and then I did FMQ on them. I used the Pfaff for that, as she really does it the most painlessly of any machine I have ever used and I wanted to get this project done for dinner Thanksgiving Day. :) I did two mats Wednesday night and then finished the other four Thanksgiving Day while I cooked dinner. A fun little project.

The pattern was a brown paper pattern I made myself back in about 2003. I have made lots of place mats with it. You get four out of a yard of regular width cotton quilting fabric. So you buy two yards and then a yard of batting between. this time I wanted six place mats so I bought a yard and a half. I used Superior So Fine #50 for the quilting, and I used OMNI and a Class 15 pre-loaded Superior So Fine #60 bobbin for the sewing.