Sunday, March 23, 2008

Honoring the Pfaff 1222E

Having finally decided to open a new blog just for ruminations on sewing and sewing machines, I am giving the place of honor to my venerable Pfaff 1222E. She has seen me through 31 years of sewing, and until my recent epiphany regarding multiple sewing machines and the possibility of owning several, she has been the only sewing machine to travel with me throughout the years. She has always been a cool, rather elite machine, well deserving her reputation for German craftsmanship and the beautiful simplicity of form she exhibits. I never named her. This machine doesn't really invite that sort of familiarity, keeping aloof and regarding my sewing prowess as not quite what she was made for. Her IDT has been wonderful, and her stitch quality fine. She is growing older now, and though she still sews with precision, she has some wear and tear on her gearing and needle-threader. I still sew with this machine now and then to keep her from freezing up, but now she has company in the sewing space. I would never exclude her from that space, no matter what other machines I have.

No comments: