Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Blue Quilt Done...

Blue Quilt is quilted and bound. It's recipient will, I hope, be pleased. :)  I had an inspiration pic which I posted earlier on in the process, and the blocks in mine were 16" blocks. Simple really but took me almost a year. I work slowly. Most of these fabrics are Robert Kaufman Asian fabrics, but some are a line of Batiks I forget the name of. I used OMNI thread from Superior Threads to quilt the quilt and a Superior Threads pre-loaded bobbin for the underside. The back of this is a nice gray small floral pattern flannel from Missouri Star Quilt Company.  I used several of the fabrics from the quilt for binding. :)   I see that the backing is no longer in stock at Missouri Star. Too bad - it is a lovely small floral leaf sort of pattern. It is hard to find nice backing. Now to plan the next quilt! It will be from old cotton plaid men's shirts my son gave me for a quilt. I will add some vibrant red KONA cotton to the quilt for OOOMPH!! Those shirt plaids do not have much in the way of color going for them.  Very subtle!  I do like them though and look forward to making the quilt. Planning on a 9 patch, might be Disappearing 9 Patch - do not know yet. The muse will tell me in about a month or so.

11 comments:

LindaC said...

That's really pretty. Nicely done. The recipient will certainly be happy.
(It's me, Linda in AZ).

glorm said...

These are 16" blocks so the finished product is 80" x 80" ? I really like those blues in there with lots to look at. Very nice.

catspec said...

@Linda!! Thanks so much!!! I appreciate the kind remarks!

@ glorm - Thanks! The dimensions are 80x64. It does go well on a double bed. I don't usually make my quilts to any bed size - I just plan for a block size and figure out what I like in length and width. :) This is the largest I have done. But it didn't seem any more difficult to quilt. Used the walking foot - AcuFeed on my 6600 to quilt this.

glorm said...

Oh, that would be 80" x 64", wouldn't it? LOL. Really, I can count and do math. That's what surprised me: you usually make them much smaller. I think blues are very soothing for a bedroom.

catspec said...

glorm....yup - this was larger then I thought it would be but maybe the next one will be the same size - working in a 16" pattern is fun, and I have a 16" Omnigrid square with seam allowances added that I LOVE.

demoiselle said...

Beautiful!

catspec said...

Thanks demoiselle!!!

deep1084 said...

Sorry I missed this earlier--it really came out nicely. I love the concentric circles. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the plaid shirts. I think it will be great!

catspec said...

Thanks Deep1084!! Appreciate the kind words! :)

SewLibra said...

I love those shades of blue and it's a nice size, too! Great work! I look forward to the next one from the shirts. That sounds challenging.

catspec said...

Thanks SewLibra!!! Appreciate the nice words! I have not started the shirt quilt but will soon!!