Thursday, April 30, 2009
Last night I began sewing this skirt, Supp.257, #14, 2005, copyright Modeverlag Lutterloh. This pattern has one piece which is cut twice for the two pieces - FRONT and BACK. So it is so simple. I am serging it so it really goes fast. I am of course making it an elasticized waist, and using the sew-flip-sew method of applying the elastic! My fabric is nothing like the pink in the photo. I am using a rayon print in turquoise and brown. This is one skirt in my Sewing with a Plan project which is becoming an historical document! It is the second item in on the top row of my plan. Originally I planned on using the simple skirt pattern in the KwikSew Easy Sewing book, but decided to use one of my Lutterlohs instead. So now the side seams are sewn and the waist and hem will be done tonight. I am going to attempt a lettuce edge on the serger if I think the fabric will give enough. That would be a first for me. I so enjoyed learning about Serger Basics on PatternReview, and last night I reviewed my lessons and my samples so I am sort of geared us, as it were, to try! Note that the class is now renamed and taught by Shannon Gifford. I am thinking of retaking it! This garment and the summer nightie I made are going to Seattle with me soon. Call them part of my very embryonic travel wardrobe.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Photo Copyright Modeverlag Lutterloh 2003. I finished The nightwear item from my Lutterloh pattern 2003, Supplement #251, top #237. I should add that I added plenty of ease, as I do like comfy nightwear. I got the pattern altered with my shoulder muslin, all cut out and this weekend I finished sewing the nightwear. I widened the sides and made seams rather than ties. I lengthened the garment as well. I used the longer sleeve, as I want this to work both Summer and transitionally. The Fabric is an Amy Butler print, new this year, and just lovely to look at and to work with. I love cotton nightwear, and this fabric was perfect! there are several patterns which use these colors and all are fabulous. I got this at Threadneedle Fabrics, my local fabric store. I wanted to have a nicely finished neckline, so I drafted front and back facings. The serger is an immense help in finishing seams and I used it for the side and sleeve seaming as well. It does speed things up a lot, and even more - it is fun! As to cutting it out, I had so little material left after the pieces were cut out that I had to piece each facing piece. Not even the smallest bit of space left on the fold to cut facings. But I had enough. PHEW! I drafted this pattern large because I made an error in measurements, but after I used my shoulder template to alter it, that didn't matter, and I do have a lot of ease. Note added the next day...you know, this picture doesn't do the garment any favors, and it really does look better...perhaps I may replace it one of these days...or not. The neckline is very niftily done, if I do say so. :)