Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Amazing Pfaff 1222E...

I wanted to do a complete expose of the features of the Pfaff 1222E, since I have enjoyed my machine now for over 35 years. While surfing the web I came upon a really good site with info on the machine, and many comments which have enhanced the information quite a lot since the poster did her first installment on the 1222E.









I am going to make my post shorter because the first thing I am doing is linking to her blog posts! Her first post  covers some basics and her experiences and her update really gets going with the comments and the information that fill out the picture.


The high points I believe are the needle UP that you get with the use of the presser foot lifter and the many many patterns you can make with the stitch patterns in combination.  I have used that about three times over the years.   The Pfaff 1222E was TOL when it came out. I wanted it very much for two reasons. At the time I was sewing on a Kenmore 1602 flatbed machine - nice machine, but I wanted the narrow free arm because I was sewing little children's clothing at the time, as well as doll clothes.


I also was in love with the idea of the newest thing on the sewing block - the MATCHMAKER FOOT!  That was the original name for what is now called Pfaff IDT.  And believe me when we bought the Pfaff it seemed like a whole lot of money and caused me some little guilt but I got over that very very soon. The IDT is the very best thing since the wheel I think.  Note the all metal sturdy IDT on the 1222E.








I never even heard of seams becoming uneven after that, or collars not turning out even. Nope, the IDT solved all those situations with ease.  The fact that there is not a presser foot pressure adjustment is just not relevant at all - I have sewed heavy canvas, light gossamer voile, and everything in between with my Pfaff.  For those who need a manual, there is one now on the Pfaff site.  The free motion quilting this machine does is the best I have seen on any of my machines. It is not thread fussy, and will really remain stable while you toss around a quilt on your sewing surface. I have used thread ranging from Isacord's lightness (which the machine did for me but didn't particularly care for) to heavy 30 weight C&C quilting cotton. The results are always lovely except for my user errors.





The machine has electronic features ranging from the needle UP feature to the variable speed foot control, and it all works incredibly smoothly. I still have the original needle threader on it and it works.  It has needed a couple of replacements of it's smaller nylon-plastic gearing and a new screw in the needle threader but for 37 years I don't think that's very much to have to have had done.  I bought her a Sew Steady extension table and just last week installed ECOLUX lighting. We are a happy couple.

26 comments:

glorm said...

That machine looks brand new. Thanks for the post and pics--love it.

catspec said...

:) Thanks for commenting. Yes, I am pretty obsessive about the condition I keep my machines and accessories in as a rule!

Whiteout said...

I'm having trouble installing my free motion foot and can't seem to find an explanation online. Could you help?

catspec said...

Do you mean the darning foot that came with the Pfaff originally, because if you are trying a generic foot it will not work. Tell me more about the foot.

SewLibra said...

Beautiful machine and no yellowing or anything! Of course there are probably no plastic parts at all in that age of machine. I wonder if Pfaff could possibly still hold the patent for the IDT? Otherwise you would think every machine manufacturer would put them on! Wishful thinking.

catspec said...

SewLibra - the patent expired a few years ago....Bernina began to add that technology practically the same year. So Bernina has almost the same, and of course Janome and Elna have some AcuFeed and then AcuFlex and even Brother Babylock has some sort of dual feed now. The Pfaff and Bernina are going to be more delicate. On the Pfaff I jsut leave the dual feed in place all the time - it's that non-intrusive.

Unknown said...

My husband came across the 1222 machine at a thrift store before we met...he had it serviced and put it away. Now it's mine, and I'm absolutely in LOVE with it. Another person even sent me her bag of leftover feet and bobbins, she had gotten rid of her machine previously. I just discovered a ruffleing foot as well as a rolled hem foot, although I have yet to figure out the rolled hem one.
I prefer to sew on this rather than my Baby Lock or Singer .

catspec said...

Amanda! Thanks for the comment. Enjoy that machine - they are wonderful!! If you search my blog there is more on my 1222E!! I just did a quilt on it, including meandering quilting and I just love it :)

Krystal K Grant Photography, LLC said...

I bought mine at a thrift store a few years ago and it quickly became my favorite. I'm getting ready to try my first quilt so wish me luck! Anyway, I am curious, how much was this machine new? The blog you linked to says it was made in 1982, and I can't find any other info, is that when you bought yours?

catspec said...

Hi Krystal, I bought mine in 1977. At that time they were about 1200 new or a bit more in the US. Mine was made in 1976. That's a lot of 2018 dollars! :) I hope your first quilt goes really well!! I find the 1222E does a really good job on 1/4" seams and on Free Motion Quilting!! Never gives me trouble.

DesignerPro said...

Hello,
I recently both 1214 PFAFF machine. I have one small correction in your article. Actually there is foot pressure adjustment. There is small hexagonal screw behind the tension disk. Rotating it, it adjust different foot presure. This really complements the machine.

I hope it will help someone.

Mshell said...

Hello
I have just bought a second hand Pfaff 1222 and I want to free embroider.
The machine came with an embroidery foot (small hoof) which I installed.
I flipped the lever to Darning ....but it just goes backwards - no free wheeling.

I am used to the old Bernina"s and just thought it would be easy.

Any Ideas please.

I am happy with the machine .

catspec said...

Did you flip that lever all the way over to the left horizontally? That is for dropping the feed dogs. If you flip that lever to the vertical position it sews backwards as long as you like. Do you have a manual? It's on p. 16. But if it is sewing backwards while in the horizontal darning position then I'd have the machine looked at by a tech. Good luck! If you don't have a manual it can be downloaded free 9n Pfaff's website at the support link where they have a long list of manuals.

Mshell said...

Thank you, I will follow your suggestion.
I had flipped it fully over - but I will try again and hope I don't need the tech help.

Your gal Friday said...

I finally got mine to work, but the IDT doesn't seem to be engaging? What have I done wrong? I like this machine a lot, but I'm still not over my first machine- a bernina 830 record- had no idea at the time it was such a nice machine. I wore her out! Of course years.later, no machine has compared. Bought a few different models, YUCK. Doing online research I came across the discussions on the 1222e I bought one as it was easier to find and more affordable. I like it so far, but finally bought another 830record at auction. Hasn't come yet, but i am thrilled... now I'll have both TOL vintage machines and can resume making fabulous clothes! Still if you have any idea about the.IDT???

catspec said...

The IDT sort of goes down and around and snaps in. If it isn't doing that there's a problem. I have not had that issue. There is a spring there and the assembly has to be on correctly. Check out a manual picture. This machine is worth having a tech fix that though if needed!! Sorry to hear this. Have fun with your 830 as well!!

Unknown said...

The IDT will not engage if you are using a presser foot that is not designed to allow it. The back of the foot should have an open U shape. If it doesn't, the back of the foot will block the end of the IDT's foot from fully extending and from making contact with the material being sewn.

catspec said...

Use ONLY feet for this machine. Do not try generics. Why buy a machine and then not use proper feet! It does not take today's feet anyway, although there is an adapter out there for this machine to use snap on feet. I did not buy it and cannot speak to its use.

Unknown said...

I am trying to figure out how to do free motion stitching on my Pfaff 1222e machine to go around edges of appliques on a mini landscape quilt. I've dropped the feed dogs but I'm not sure what type of foot will work. I have a darning foot but that hasn't seemed ideal. But I also bought an open toe quilt/darn foot that was listed on Ebay as fitting the 1222e, but it doesn't seem to be working right. Is it my technique or do I just not have the right equipment?

catspec said...

Hello Unknown. :) I use my Darning foot for FM all the time. Any other foot you buy will not work properly. There is no other foot for this machine to do free motion. They just are not made for it. Believe me I tried to find an open toe foot - stick with the darning foot. I have done quite a lot with it.

Unknown said...

Is there a 1/4 inch foot for this machine?

catspec said...

Hi Unknown, no the foot itself is your quarter inch foot. I think you will find it is a quarter inch from center needle drop to the edge of the ZZ foot on your right. Many older machines with a 5mm width have this nice setup!

mdoll said...

I have this machine also and I am in need of a light bulb for it. Do you have a recommendation for where to get parts like this for it!

catspec said...

For vintage Pfaff parts and repair, as well as bobbins, I recommend Brubaker's online. They have been in business many years. https://brubakerssewing.com/
Good luck!

Unknown said...

Is it possible to insert an invisible zip with the 1222e

catspec said...

Yes of course you can insert an invisible zipper. Search Google for ways to do that other than needing a special foot! It can be done with a regular zipper foot that came with this machine. :)