Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Amazing Pfaff 1222E...

I wanted to do a complete expose of the features of the Pfaff 1222E, since I have enjoyed my machine now for over 35 years. While surfing the web I came upon a really good site with info on the machine, and many comments which have enhanced the information quite a lot since the poster did her first installment on the 1222E.









I am going to make my post shorter because the first thing I am doing is linking to her blog posts! Her first post  covers some basics and her experiences and her update really gets going with the comments and the information that fill out the picture.


The high points I believe are the needle UP that you get with the use of the presser foot lifter and the many many patterns you can make with the stitch patterns in combination.  I have used that about three times over the years.   The Pfaff 1222E was TOL when it came out. I wanted it very much for two reasons. At the time I was sewing on a Kenmore 1602 flatbed machine - nice machine, but I wanted the narrow free arm because I was sewing little children's clothing at the time, as well as doll clothes.


I also was in love with the idea of the newest thing on the sewing block - the MATCHMAKER FOOT!  That was the original name for what is now called Pfaff IDT.  And believe me when we bought the Pfaff it seemed like a whole lot of money and caused me some little guilt but I got over that very very soon. The IDT is the very best thing since the wheel I think.  Note the all metal sturdy IDT on the 1222E.








I never even heard of seams becoming uneven after that, or collars not turning out even. Nope, the IDT solved all those situations with ease.  The fact that there is not a presser foot pressure adjustment is just not relevant at all - I have sewed heavy canvas, light gossamer voile, and everything in between with my Pfaff.  For those who need a manual, there is one now on the Pfaff site.  The free motion quilting this machine does is the best I have seen on any of my machines. It is not thread fussy, and will really remain stable while you toss around a quilt on your sewing surface. I have used thread ranging from Isacord's lightness (which the machine did for me but didn't particularly care for) to heavy 30 weight C&C quilting cotton. The results are always lovely except for my user errors.





The machine has electronic features ranging from the needle UP feature to the variable speed foot control, and it all works incredibly smoothly. I still have the original needle threader on it and it works.  It has needed a couple of replacements of it's smaller nylon-plastic gearing and a new screw in the needle threader but for 37 years I don't think that's very much to have to have had done.  I bought her a Sew Steady extension table and just last week installed ECOLUX lighting. We are a happy couple.

2 comments:

glorm said...

That machine looks brand new. Thanks for the post and pics--love it.

catspec said...

:) Thanks for commenting. Yes, I am pretty obsessive about the condition I keep my machines and accessories in as a rule!