Friday, September 18, 2015

15 Minutes of Play again with the Elna TOP 300...

  Here's the Elna TOP 300 again back in the table!  It is a fast machine!   I used it to piece the last piece of the 15 Minutes of Play  quilt self-made fabric I needed to cut the last ten blocks. I have a quarter inch foot I bought for the Mini Ultra and it was the only one that fits the Elna TOP 300. The regular Janome top loading foot and the vertical foot 1/4" feet both either don't fit at all or are wonky on the feed dogs. SO this one is a Distinctive brand foot that has a long blade. I bought it through AMAZON from Mr. Vac and Mrs. Sew and that is one terrific company to deal with. The silly blade just gets in the way, so I pulled it off! I was surprised that pulling it off worked really well. The machine feels great to sew on. The thing for me to remember is that it *IS* all mechanical and I need to raise the needle to the top after each seam. Otherwise the top thread whips out of the threading channel and I have to rethread. Oh how soon we forget! ;) Needle down is doable with your foot pedal as in any mechanical but takes some finesse and practice. I have cut out the darker background fabrics and am now ready to sew the blocks together to make the top. Time to shop batting and backing. Thinking poly high loft batting and some pretty backing fabric. When I piece I pretty much use up the partial bobbins I have and the thread I won't use for quilting. I used both So Fine #50 and cotton Coats machine quilting thread on the piecing. Going to use So Fine #50 for sewing it all together, as well as pre-wound So Fine #60 bobbins, and then I am still thinking over the quilting thread! I do know I am going to quilt this one with the walking foot. I am doing the Craftsy class on Creative Quilting With Your Walking Foot, so there should be some tips there I can use! And yes, I am putting Hello Kitty stickers judiciously on my machines...I love Hello Kitty.

2 comments:

glorm said...

Thanks for the chuckles about defacing the machine and purposely breaking off a piece of a foot.

Isn't it great to have feet help us with the stitching? I do Seminole patchwork so I know how important it is to be precise. Yours is looking good and have fun finishing the rest of it.

catspec said...

Thanks glorm! Yes, well the foot is great now! :) I love that little quarter inch foot you see sometimes, no blade, and has all the markings on nit in red, but I bought one and it only fits my little Kenmore Mini Ultra. I think with another shank it might fit other machines, but it is too narrow for the horizontal machine's feed dog arrays. I should be piecing the blocks right now but am actually watching football! HAHHAHAa.....