Monday, June 12, 2017

32 Piece Foot Set for Low Shank Machines Part 1

After reading all sorts of posts about these generic foot sets on PatternReview.com, I decided to see for myself. For on outlay of about $20, I got this set from AMAZON.  Since most name brand feet will be an average of at least 10-20 dollars each, and many are very much more, I wanted to see if I could use a few of these on my Brother SE400.  I was on vacation at the time in another state, so decided to have AMAZON deliver them to me so I could check 'em out on my Babylock Audrey first.  The reason for this clever move was because if they fit the Audrey I was going to take home the four feet the Audrey has that I wanted for my Brother machine.  Babylock feet were rumored to fit brother machines.
To make a long story short, all the feet fit the Audrey.  Some caveats - some feet are very narrow, such as a couple of the hemmer feet. These do not cover the feed dogs but still might be fine as the needle clears the hole well.  The criteria I used to test out each and every foot on the machines I am testing them on are as follows:  1. Does the needle clear the needle hole?  2. Does the foot center properly on the feed dogs and hopefully sit correctly thereon?  3. Can I sew a lone of stitching without problems?   4. There are only three screw on feet in the set:  adjustable zipper foot, gathering foot and hopping springed FM/darning foot.  Do they fit well without needing force?    As you would any foot regularly, you must set your machine to stitch with that foot properly - as in center the needle for straight stitching with the straight stitch foot, zigzag with the fringing foot etc.  I tested them out and all sewed though on the Audrey some were a little teenie bit odd on the dogs. But nothing you couldn't use them with.   SO - indeed I took the four Audrey feet home and left generics in their place, plus I have the rest of the feet in case I need them.  If I had bought those four feet alone it would have cost me about 45-55 dollars easily for Brother or Babylock feet.  So I have the real Babylock feet for my Brother SE400 and the next post will be about how the set and Babylock feet fit that machine.  NOTE: I bought the ArtBin storage box for the feet - it didn't come with a plastic storage box.  Interesting point - there is no Zigzag foot in this set and no buttonhole foot at all. So if you need a regular ZZ sewing foot which is the default foot on most machines, you will not get it in this set. Likewise you will not get a buttonhole foot. 

4 comments:

glorm said...

If the foot fits.....

You got a good deal there. I still haven't found the list I started with what feet fit which machine. Guess I'll have to start over. Oh, well.

You played it smart and it worked. This must be how Prince Charming felt, except that there was only one foot in the land which fit that shoe. LOL

catspec said...

HAHAHHAA....glorm that's a good one! Part 2 will be the Brother SE400, and then if can get to it, Part 3 will be the Janome.

SewLibra said...

Oh boy, you hit the jackpot with all those feet, especially at that price! Amazon has become my favorite place to shop for lots of things. Today I ordered a 6-pack of my favorite Barely There bras that are no longer in the stores. Hahaha! I'm pretty sure your Babylock feet will fit your Brother. My dealer carries both brands and I recall them telling me this once. I was going to say you should be all set now, but we always find need for yet ANOTHER foot don't we? ;) Enjoy!

catspec said...

All set. Yes, indeedy! Heh.....but with feet you never know! :) I do recommend this set because even if you only apply cording once in your sewing life, this set has a choice of cording feet and for the price - WOW...I estimate the retail of usually branded feet at about at least $350 to over 400 for all these. And some brands do not make some of these either.