Saturday, July 29, 2017

NO to the 32 Piece Foot Set on the Janome and Elna - at Least For Me!

So now to make a gig bag for the Tenor I just acquired. Got pretty much 3/4 of the way to the finish and discovered I had given away my Elna 720 zipper foot. I don't have a high shank adjustable zipper foot either. I tried the generic zipper foot from the recent generic set, but although it "fit", the clearance was way off , and the thing almost stuck in the holder and I had quite a time getting it off without hurting something. .  So I had to pull out my Janome 8050 and steal the Janome E Zipper foot from the accessories. Must see about a replacement.

SO - for the update on the generic feet on the Elna and Janome - NOPE.   I did try several feet and they attach,  but the needle has almost no clearance through the hole in that foot, plus the attachment for the generic and the Brother feet on my Elna is very tight and it becomes difficult to remove the generic or Brother feet from the machine! So that's a BIG NO on using that set on the Elna or my Janome.  Apparently other people try them or use them on their Janomes and Elnas, but I won't be doing that at all. I would like to buy an adjustable high shank zipper foot for my Elna though.

Footnote: Nope, haven't made the quilt 9 patch blocks yet...projects getting in the way....

4 comments:

glorm said...

As you know I'm in the process of making a list of interchangeable feet. I think I have only two generic feet and Nancy's Notions guaranteed that they would fit my Pfaff, so I felt comfortable in ordering them; otherwise, I would hesitate. You are doing the right thing by testing them.

Good thing the sizes of toilet paper and paper towel rolls are standard. ;)

catspec said...

Oh boy glorm - you got that right!!!! HAHHAHAaa.....Oh my yes, I would always check - the good news is that i have machines that I feel comfy using them on though - what a deal. THANKS!!!

SewLibra said...

I recognize that fabric! Didn't you make curtains from it? Speaking of zipper feet, and I know you have a Brother machine, Brother has come out with a narrower zipper foot. They advertised it along with the 2018 machine line-up. (Enabling again.) 😁

catspec said...

Yes, that was the sewing room/den curtains! Had a LOT left over! Thanks for the info on that foot! :) I right now need another Elna/Janome zipper foot. :) The Brother one doesn't fit those machines.