Monday, July 24, 2023

Water Bottle Holder with Handle...

 

My hubby asked me to make him some water bottle holders with handles -  I looked on the web of course, and found this video on YouTube and downloaded the pattern. I didn't actually use the video after a brief view.  Here is the website where you can find the pattern, as well as lots of other really nice projects she has designed. Nicely done site!

Learncreatesew

Here is the video:  Sewing a Water Bottle Holder

She has included several sizes of patterns for the bottom of this bag. I used the medium size as I like to make my seams a bit wider than marked on the pattern. There is a separate pattern on her website for an XL size as well.  I did it much as the pattern but I did the handle my way, and I added a top facing which I stitched down over the outside as both a slight reinforced top portion and slightly deco as well! ;)  This pattern is really nice as far as drafting the rectangle for the body of the bag and the handle - very clear. The only pattern piece provided premade is the bottom and there are a few sizes included which I was amazed fit various sized bottles we have! I could have done the body of the bag without the chart she provides, but that was icing on the cake, and I used the chart to calculate. It is a simple bag, but I found her pattern very helpful. 

I didn't watch the video for instructions because it is pretty evident how to sew it if you have made a bag before, and the bottom piece is tricky but that's all part of transferable skills.

I did the handle my way which is to fold over and into the middle and sew the handle down the middle to seal all edges. Then I tacked the bottoms of the loop together and basted the handle to one side of the rectangle before sewing the body of the bag. Then I enclosed the handle bottom in the side seam. Then I reinforced that side seam.

I had some leftover heavy chambray and some lovely twill from a air of worn out men's pants stored for just such a use.  Having these about is handy for things that sort of come up. I seldom have a wide range of stash. It would be nice to make a really pretty carrier as well - but I do not use water bottles at all so no one in my home would love a flowery one. ;)


No comments: