Sunday, July 12, 2009

Kwik Sew skirt done!

The Kwik Sew skirt 2954 is done. My daughter's first garment and she did a terrific job. The natural linen was such a joy to sew on, though a bit slippery. Thank goodness for the Viking Sewing machine feet! Several edge stitching feet came into play. We used the regular edge stitching foot and the newer plastic wide guide foot with the red markings as well. That foot allows for some nice wide stitching with a guide. And you can use several lines for several lines of stitching. The ties went on very oddly though. They go on and then you must pick out some of the seam and cut a chuck out of the tie on the inside! I think I can manage a better way to attach those when she sews the next skirt. Already there are two lengths of fabric waiting!
I did purchase the plus version of the skirt only to find out that is is NOT the plus version. It is plus, and it is A version, but the pattern differs in a couple ways. 1. The Plus version has a waistband, not a faced waist. AND it is cut differently with a difference in pattern pieces as well. I may or may not make it up, but I might get to it some day. In the meantime, we are drafting Lutterloh patterns for a blouse for my daughter to sew, and a couple of pair of pants for me(yes, the ones I keep talking about). AND, I have signed up for Lutterloh NZ's classes on Collars and Zips, so I have to get busy with that. The plan is to make muslins of necklines with collars and learn a couple ZIP inserts I haven't bothered to learn over the years. It's a good challenge. In fact in the blouse pattern(2005 #16)we've selected, there is a band collar and a cuff setup on the sleeve that will require me to review cuff making. And the blouse is going to be silk. Quite a selection for a second, cuffs, facings, band collar and a button or three along with the holes for them.

No comments: