Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sewing lessons and Planning...

Planning, that's what I've been up to! My daughter wants to learn to sew garments, and she has picked KWIK SEW 2954, the wrap skirt. A nice neutral toned linen is the fabric she chose, and we've begun the process. I'm not such a good teacher, but I am trying to teach a combination of the way the books say to do things, and the way I do things. It's easier to learn it the "proper" way, and then go out on a limb later. For the seam finishing, I am serging that for her. Serger learning comes later on after the sewing machine gets mastered.Meanwhile, I do have the Lutterloh top from Supplement 271, #60 of 2008, ready to go - all cut out and sitting there waiting for me. :) Last week I went out to the art supply store and got a piece of 1/2" foam core about 48x60" to use for drafting Lutterloh's. My cardboard Superboard is fine, but I think the pins will better stick into the foam core. It isn't so easy to find the 1/2" (they had only the one type) but I think it will be worth the $18.00 investment. It is amazing the materials at the art supply store though. They had several types of the thinner foam core, and those may have done the trick as well, but I wanted to make sure I had a good pinning surface. The XL pants are in the works before the top, and all I have to do is wash the fabric, get it laid out and cut out, and then sew it! Yes, that's ALL...

No comments: