Monday, October 30, 2017

Ukulele Gig Bag Instructions Finally Posted...


Here's the latest bag, which I have already posted about when finished.  I was asked if I had a pattern. I made my own, and I wrote up the instructions this morning. So decided to add them here.  To see more pictures of the process just see after instructions:


Nope no commercial pattern - here's what I did. I made my own pattern, which I have done a lot for home dec items. 

I laid my uke (and my tenor later on) on my pattern paper - I use tracing paper in a huge roll from an Art Supply online store. Then I trace around the uke liberally so as to give the bag side room without making side panels - some people have made side panels. 

Then I cut two pieces from a nice home dec sort of fabric. My latest was for my son and he picked out heavier outdoor fabric. Then I cut two substantial pieces of batting or even four pieces - two to a side. 

Then I cut two layers for a pocket, and sew them with two pieces of batting also. I quilt the pocket and finish the sides and top. I sew the pocket to the front of the quilted bag before assembling bag. Use a piece of VELCRO made for a fabric closure - Joann's has these - they set in 24 hours and they really work. They are oval and I have used them three times now. Once on a satin wedding bag and twice on uke bags. 

I quilt the back and the front of the bag, which is a heavy job on some fabrics but my machine has AcuFeed and it works well. I make a strap from a wide piece of fabric and some batting, folding over the two layers on one side and then folding the other side over and sewing in the middle. 

Then I sew half the bag, so putting in the zipper goes better. Next step is sew in zipper, making sure you can open it from the outside! Ask me why I stress that. OH - the longer that zipper the better - I used a 24 or 26" - depending on what I can find at JA's. Son picked hot orange for the zipper this time and he picked a zipper that opens on both ends - that's kind of cool actually when inserted. 

After sewing in the zipper, sew the open seams left to enclose zipper ends. Top stitch the fabric down on the zipper at the zipper sides so the zipper stays in place to the outside.

Then sew on strap carefully so you don't sew the bag shut side to side (again ask why I stress that)....and there you have it! 

I hope I didn't miss a step - I don't think I did. 

Happy uke bag making!!!!  





And again....

Soprano in bag. I think of a CASE as being a hard case, so have to remember to call these bags.  

No comments: