Saturday, October 27, 2018

Walking Foot Quilting Once More...

All ready to quilt! Done with the ditch quilting, and that really does help stabilize a quilt. I don't always do it, as it can be completely tedious on quilts with a lot of blocks and or detail.  So, after the ditch quilting, my first idea was block by block free motion, and that did not turn out. My acuity at a specific FM design I had in mind being limited, I picked out an entire block's worth of stitches, and then I made a thread change - oh, about three times I decided on different threads. Finally settled on a thread that is not in this picture.  Using Coats and Clark 30 wt. Quilting Cotton,  Warm and Natural batting, and now doing walking foot quilting with AcuFeed on my Elna 720.  Need to get over there and do it!!  Hoping for a few smaller projects after this one.

2 comments:

glorm said...

This is coming along nicely. I agree: smaller projects for the next few.

How do you decide what sewing machine for which projects?

catspec said...

Thanks Glorm!!!! ;) Well, for walking foot quilting I use the Elna because it has dual feed with a large walking foot - the AcuFeed system. For FM I use the vintage Pfaff because it just does so much better than anything else on FMQ. I attribute it - just my opinion - to the heavy weight of a solid metal machine, and the solidity of build in Pfaffs from that period - it is a 1976 Pfaff. Plus I think machines with vertical bobbins have less bobbin hop than horizontal bobbin machines when you are pushing the fabric in ways the machines were never meant to go! Machines are built for sewing - not for free motion. They want to go and are built to go the directions of the feed. When you go off in other directions in FM I think the thread tends to pull the bobbin sideways etc., and with a vertical bobbin you have more solidity.