Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Kwik Sew Patterns are a Treat...


I sewed up this really practical, warm and cute Kwik Sew pattern yesterday on my sweet 1034D serger. Sewed like a dream, and the fabric, oh the lovely pink sweatshirt knit - it sewed up like a charm!  Kwik Sew was so well drafted in the old days, and the instructions here were so very good - I didn't need them until the collar, and then I reviewed the collar instructions. I wish all pattern makers had the skill to write really clear instructions that make sewing seem easy. Kwik Sew did. I do not know if whoever does them now has the same skill.  I found this pattern on ETSY, like so many other patterns lately, and I love it. I highly recommend it. I had bought the fabric last year on AMAZON after not being able to find anything I wanted around here. It is all cotton, and that was my preference. 
 

I used pink OMNI from Superior Threads and the bobbin was a DecoBob from Wonderfil in a lovely pink - but just in the sewing machine and used that only for the serger thread ends to secure them, and for the hem on the poncho.  On the serger I used four cones of Maxi-Lock in my set I call Lights. There is one a light sky blue, one in pink, one in beige and one in another very light shade of baby blue. All together they do a nice job of blending in with all light fabrics I have used. I also have a set I call my Darks. I mix dark colors like navy, dark brown, black and even dark pine green. I have a lot of Maxi-Lock.I had cleaned and oiled my serger first, changed the needles, and rethreaded. Runs like a top which makes me very happy. Brother 1034D that I bought in 2005 from AMAZON. :) I think I am getting my money's worth. 

 
I did have enough left over to make that nightgown as well.  I drafted a pattern on one of my own RTW nightgowns that I like and is so very simple. I serged it up yesterday as well.  The serged edges of the sleeves were so nice I left them like that, and the same for the bottom of the nightgown, but I finished up the neckline with one fold over and stitching. The fleece is just so nice. Because it is a sweatshirt knit - one side has the knit fabric look and I used that as the inside, and put the fleecy side out. So soft, and then I won't get fluffs on my turtlenecks I wear under the poncho. :) 

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Such a pretty color on you! Looks so comfy and warm, too.

catspec said...

Thanks Catherine!! Appreciate the comment. It will be nice and warm sitting reading into the night. :)

Carla said...

What a beautiful and warm looking top! Love this and so agree about the Kwik Sew Patterns! I really enjoy your posts on the forum, Mufffet! I'm a retired nurse also. <3 CSM-Carla

catspec said...

Thank you Carla! Nurses are the best. :)