Saturday, July 11, 2020

Something Different...Wedding Clutch...


A few years ago my daughter got married. When we went for the alterations on her dress, the kind alterations lady agreed to save the scraps from making it shorter, and give them to me. I decided to use them for making a wedding bag.  This is probably one of the hardest things I have ever made. Working with lace that has seed beads all over it is really fun! HAHA. The beads fall off if a thread is disturbed and cut near them, and they cannot be sewn on a sewing machine, at least not a home sewing machine so I did a LOT of hand work on this. I am not good at handwork, so it was a true labor of love.  I got a free pattern off the internet for a basic bag and changed it a lot. I had to sew it together by hand when I made a cutting error, and then figure out how to do the closure.

 Luckily I had a find that worked - VELCRO fabric adhesive ovals. Very nice. They work - I think the setting time is about 24 hours, but it rested longer and it worked. I didn't want to have to sew through the fabrics and break the look of the front. I could have put a frog sort of closure as well but didn't want to attempt it by the time I was through sewing. I think this took me two days of 8 hours a day to sew up. I didn't do it early enough in the month before the wedding. If anyone decides do do this - please do it weeks ahead so you will have a lot of time! 


The back laid out. I love that lace and those pearls! My daughter loved her gift and used it at her wedding.  It was a recent thread on the PatternReview forum that reminded me that I never wrote about it or reviewed the process. I did start with this pattern from KWIK SEW but veered away very soon. 
 


So..I would recommend looking for a free pattern for a clutch - they are out there! :)

2 comments:

glorm said...

That was a lot of work! The results are beautiful.

catspec said...

Thank you glorm! Sorry I didn't see your comment until right now. :)